Fish Fry with Green Marinade
Pomphret/Sea Bass cooked in coriander and Mint with a hint of ginger and lemon
The combination of coriander and mint with lemon and ginger makes it very refreshing in summer months either as a starter or as a main meal with salad. No matter what your cooking skills are, you can’t go wrong with this recipe. It is more popular among kids (even the fussy ones) in my household compared to the fish with red marinade. I have to just go easy on the spice level when serving kids.
Pomphret or Sea Bass – 4
Fresh Coriander Leaves – one handful
Fresh Mint Leaves – half handful
Green Chillies – 4 mediums
Ginger – ½ an inch piece
Lemon juice – 1 lemon or 1 tbsp
Salt – 2 tsp or to taste
Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp or to taste
Vegetable or Olive oil – 2-3 tbsp
Method for Frying:
- Clean the fish by removing tail, scales and intestinal waste.
- Wash thoroughly and dry with kitchen towels.
- Make 3-4 slits on the flat surface at both sides without cutting the fish through and through.
- Crush all marinade ingredients along with ½ tbsp oil in a food processor or a grinder to make a thick paste.
- Try not to use more than a couple of sips of water while grinding the mix.
- Rub the marinade in the slits and on the surface of the fish.
- Let it rest for half an hour in refrigerator.
- Heat rest of the oil in a shallow frying pan.
- Add oil to the pan and heat on gas mark 4-5. (Medium heat).
- Once the oil is hot, add fish and cover the pan with a lid.
- Allow it to cook for 4-5 minutes on low to medium heat without disturbing the cooking surface.
- Now flip the fish over, cover the pan again and allow it to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Due to softness of cooked fish it is important not to flip the fish multiple times.
Method for Baking:
- Alternatively you could bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 30-40 minutes.
- The fish can be basted with the rest of the oil a couple of times while baking to avoid it sticking on the baking sheet or the pan.
- Make sure you have flipped the side midway through cooking in the oven.
- Serve hot with salad as a starter or as a main meal with rice and lentils.