Spiced pancakes made with Chickpea flour along with fragrant flavours of fresh coriander, leaves, green chillies and ginger
These savoury crepes are a childhood memory often made as a breakfast or a quick snack. Also known as besan pooras or besan cheelas, it is a versatile crowd pleaser recipe very popular in Northern India. High in protein and fibre, makes it a healthy option, ideal for Vegans and Gluten-free diets too. It is a quick and easy to follow recipe, that can be used to make pancake or crepes depending on the consistency of the mix you choose.
- Chick Pea Flour (Besan) – 100 gm
- Onion – 1 small
- Green chilli – 1 small
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – ¼ hand full
- Ginger powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 1¼ tsp or to taste
- Red Chilli Powder – optional to taste
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
- Lemon juice – 1tbsp
- Water – As required for any other pancake or crepe mix consistency
- Vegetable Oil as required
- Peel and chop onion and green chilli in very fine pieces.
- Chop coriander finely.
- Mix all dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add water a little at a time and whisk well to get a smooth batter to the consistency of any other crepes batter. You could add or omit some water if the batter is too thick or thin.
- Let the mix rest for about an hour.
- Heat the griddle or a frying pan on medium heat.
- Brush it with few drops of oil.
- Pour a ladle of mix on hot griddle or frying pan and spread it thin or thick depending on whether you are intending to make pancakes or crepes.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil around the edges and on the crepe itself.
- Continue to cook until the edges start to look golden.
- Flip it over and cook for another minute.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or tomato ketchup.