Stir Fried Cumin Potatoes
Boiled Potatoes stir fried in soft flavour of cumin seeds
Cumin fried potatoes in one of my favourites for travel/work lunch either wrapped in chapatti/tortilla or filled in pitta pocket.
Cooking effort – Easy
Preparation time – 15 minutes (includes boiling potatoes)
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Boiled Potatoes – 500gm
Cumin Seeds – 2tsp
Garam Masala – 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder – 1½ tsp or to taste
Vegetable Oil – 2tbsp
Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 handful
- Peel boiled potatoes and cut in small pieces.
- The potatoes should not be too soft as otherwise they will turn mushy while frying with spices.
- Size of the chopped potatoes is a personal choice.
- I parboil the potatoes similar to cooking for roast potatoes and then stir fry with spices until I get the rough mushy look on the outer surface.
- Chop the coriander leaves roughly and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Add cumin seeds and stir until they turn golden brown and you can smell the earthy aroma.
- Reduce heat and add chilli powder, salt and garam masala to the oil and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add potatoes and stir until all spices are coated on potatoes uniformly.
- Stirring the potatoes should be gentle without breaking them further or mashing them.
- Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to minimum.
- Cook for 5 minutes to allow potatoes to absorb the spices.
- Switch off the heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatti.
- Alternatively wrap in a chapatti or tortilla, or fill pitta pockets for packed lunch box.